Internships at the Peoria Zoo are available in five areas:
- Animal Care
- Collections Management
Internships last for a minimum of 12 weeks, 16 hours per week.
All intern program applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Completed at least two years of college at an accredited institution majoring in the area in which they would like to be considered. Interns may also have equivalent or relevant life experience that can also be considered.
- Overall grade point average of C+ (2.5 on a 4.0 scale) or better.
- Submit a properly completed intern application packet.
The application package must include all of the following materials:
- A completed Peoria Zoo intern program application form.
- A completed Peoria Park District volunteer form.
- Two letters of recommendation
- An official copy of the applicant’s most recent transcripts for all colleges or universities attended.
- A current resume detailing education and other qualifications
- A cover letter answering essay questions (see application package for details).
Internships are available on a year-round basis. Most internships are unpaid. Housing arrangements are the
responsibility of the successful intern.
Application deadlines for internships are as follows:
- Summer Term (May thru August) Deadline: April 1
- Fall Term (September thru December) Deadline: August 1 (Sorry, we won't be offering any Winter Term internships in 2021)
- Winter Term (January thru April) Deadline: December 1
Applicants chosen to be interviewed will be notified by email. Successful applicants will be advised of their
selection and internship assignments by email. A $15 program fee is required upon placement into the
For the welfare of employees and animals, proof of a current tetanus vaccination and TB test is required for education and animal care internships prior to the start of the internship assignment.
For further information on internships contact us