Leopard Gecko - Eublepharis macularius
Rocky, dry/arid foothill regions with hard packed substrate. Also can be found in arid grasslands. Lives under rocks and in small caves and burrows to avoid day time temperatures.
Afghanistan, Iran, Pakistan and parts of India
Golden yellow coloring with black spots resembling a leopards spots. Has eyelids, unlike most geckos, so they can blink and close their eyes when sleeping. Typically have a very chunky tail where they store fat and water.
Hatchlings are between 3-4 inches long, females can get up to 7-8 inches long and males 8-11 inches long
Variety of insects
Females prefer damp, humid environments for egg laying and bury the eggs in the substrate. Clutches almost universally consist of 2 eggs, although a healthy female may produce as many as 6 clutches per year. The eggs measure approximately 2x1.5 cm, and hatch after 45-53 days at 28 degrees Celsius. Hatchlings are about 8.5 cm in length. Animals reach sexual maturity around 18 months. Leopard geckos are subject to temperature sex determination.
Very common in the wild and in captivity
- They lack adhesive lamella and have tiny claws instead, which gives them an advantage in sandy environments.
- Leopard geckos’ tails are used as an emergency fat and water supply. When confronted by a predator or if attacked, the leopard gecko will drop their tail to give them enough of a distraction to escape. The leopard gecko’s tail will eventually grow back.
- They have exceptionally good eyesight and hearing, allowing them to escape from predators and to catch their food easily. They also hiss/bark and can shed their skin to remove any scent markers left behind to ward off predators.
- They shed regularly and eat their shed for nutritional benefit.
- They are born “potty trained” and use the same spot in their enclosure for their restroom.
- Adult (13 and over)$10.50
- Child (2 - 12)$7.50
- Child (1 and Under)FREE
- Senior (65+)$9.50
- Active Military$9.50
We begin transferring animals to evening (off exhibit) holding at 4:30 each night.
Open Daily 10:00-5:00
Last admission at 4:30