Four-toed Hedgehog - Atelerix albiventris
Found through parts of Europe, Asia, Africa and New Zealand
Easily recognized by their spines
5-8 inches long
Insects, snails, frogs, toads, snakes, bird eggs, carrion, mushrooms, grass roots, berries, melons and watermelons
Depending on the species, the gestation period is 35-38 days. The average litter is 3-4 newborns for larger species and 5-6 for smaller ones.
Not listed as endangered
- There are 16 species of hedgehogs.
- Hedgehogs are fairly vocal and communicate in a series of grunts and snuffles.
- A defense that all species of hedgehogs possess is the ability to roll into a tight ball, causing all of the spines to point outwards.
- Are a powerful form of pest control.
- Adult (13 and over)$10.50
- Child (2 - 12)$7.50
- Child (1 and Under)FREE
- Senior (65+)$9.50
- Active Military$9.50
We begin transferring animals to evening (off exhibit) holding at 4:30 each night.
Open Daily 10:00-5:00
Last admission at 4:30