One of the Highest Forms of Recreation!
Manager of Volunteers
681-2822 or 681-2827 -- contact us
At the Peoria Park District we believe that volunteerism is one of the highest forms of recreation! The District has a variety of volunteer possibilities that can offer all segments of the community challenging and rewarding use of their leisure time. Volunteer participation in the Peoria Park District instills a sense of ownership and responsibility in the volunteer that leads to greater involvement and respect.
To continue learning and growing
To develop new interests and friendships
To share your time and talent with your community
To gain valuable job experience
Who Can Volunteer?
Anyone age 18 and up is welcome to apply for our adult volunteer program year-round.
Our new Zoo Teen program is for ages 14-17. Negative TB test are required.
Your Role As A Volunteer
All volunteers are considered to be ambassadors for the Peoria Park District. As ambassadors, volunteers are expected to be courteous and helpful to guests, other volunteers, and staff. Being an ambassador also means that volunteers be enthusiastic and have a good time!
So What Can You Do At The Zoo?
We have different opportunities to fit everyone’s interest, from animal keeping to public speaking. The following are a few of the opportunities available at the Peoria Zoo. All of the jobs require an interest in animals!
Special Events, Summer/Day Camps, Home school classes, and Zoo Tot classes, Rovers,Tour Guide, Animal Handler, Zoomobile, Africa Guides, Diet Cutter, Assistant Zookeeper, Behavioral Enrichment and Enhancement Program (BEEP).
Zoo Teens 2016
- Must be at least 13 years old. Must be at least a freshman in high school by Fall of 2016.
- Cost: $15 to cover the cost of T-shirt and Training Materials (We will not take payment until Zoo Teen Training ends on June 9th, 2016. Fee due before 1st formal volunteer date after June 9th, 2016.)
- Runs from January 1- April 15
- Must turn in application, questions and 1 reference (from someone other than a family member or neighbor) by April 15, 2016.
- Recommend you attend our Zoo Teen Open House March 5th, 2016 from 2:00-4:00, a parent or guardian is strongly encouraged to attend with you. We will have stations set up describing volunteer opportunities available during the summer and answering any questions you might have. (Both Staff and Current Zoo Teens will be in attendance.)
- Interviews will be the last 2 weeks of April
- Decisions will be made by May 13th. You will receive a letter in the mail either way. If you have not received a letter by May 27th, 2016 please contact us at 681-3559.
- Classes will run from June 7th, 8th and 9th2016 from 2:00pm-4:00pm,
YOU MUST BE ABLE TO ATTEND THE TRAINING CLASSES!
Our Commitment & Yours
The Peoria Park District attempts to give each volunteer a good experience. Efforts are made to have the appropriate number of volunteers for any event or project. This is best accomplished when all volunteers and groups communicate in advance their intent to volunteer. In many circumstances the events can use extra volunteers, and they are always welcomed. Nevertheless, in the event that numerous extra volunteers arrive, we cannot completely guarantee they will have a job. Every volunteer is considered important and is counted on to be at the event at the appropriate time and place. Volunteers are asked to call if they cannot attend as promised. Thank you for volunteering!
What Volunteer Positions Are Available?
We have a wide array of volunteer positions within the Peoria Park District, including ongoing Regular Volunteer opportunities and Special Event opportunities.