The Peoria Park District hires without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, or disability. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, applications and resumes for all positions will continue to be reviewed until position is filled. To ensure full consideration applications and resumes should be forwarded in a timely manner to Peoria Park District Human Resources.
Applications can be filled out on-line at: http://www.peoriaparks.org/join-our-team/employment-opportunities/employment-applications-information/
BIRTHDAY PARTY COORDINATOR
- Experience working with the public and excellent customer service skills
- Have some knowledge of the animal kingdom and interest in learning more
- Organize and present enthusiastic, entertaining and educational experiences for all ages
- Must work harmoniously with the public and fellow employees in an enthusiastic and cooperative manner.
- Must have strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Must have excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to provide the best possible image of the Park District.
- Birthday Party Instructor will be responsible for:
- Leading birthday parties for all ages.
- Setting and cleaning up the birthday party room
- Conducting engaging tours of the Zoo during parties.
- Under the supervision of the Curator of Education
- Starting wage is $9.00-$10.00/hour
ASSISTANT ZOO CUSTODIAN
POSITION: Part-Time (Average of 24 – 28 hours/week)
- High school diploma or equivalent is desired.
- Background and some work experience in custodial building maintenance and grounds keeping.
- Ability to operate standard mechanized cleaning equipment.
- Ability to prepare facility for programs, meetings, and rentals according to daily schedule.
- Ability to perform routine grounds keeping functions as directed.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Assisting in maintaining the appearance and cleanliness of all designated areas of the zoo.
- Monitoring of maintenance supplies, equipment and tools.
- Assisting in animal moves and loading as necessary.
- Assisting in programs and promotions of the Zoo.
- Keeping maintenance areas neat and orderly.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Starting wage is $9.50 per hour.
- Evenings, weekends, and holidays may be required
POSITION: Part-Time (Average of 8 hours/week)
- Bachelor’s Degree is preferred. Knowledge of basic zoology or biology is preferred. Although a degree is preferred, experience in a like position with similar duties and responsibilities may be substituted for all or part of the educational preference.
- Minimum of three years’ experience working with computers including databases and spreadsheets. Clerical experience preferred.
- Must be able to demonstrate proficient communication skills, attention to detail and the ability to work with staff who occupy positions at various levels throughout the organization.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to keep accurate records in a manner that can be used efficiently.
- Must have valid Class D driver’s license.
- Assist with inventorying and acquiring animal supplies.
- Assist with clerical tasks associated with animal nutrition program, including but not limited to: updating diet cards, recording diet changes in nutrition database and updating browse lists.
- Assist with parasite control program, including, but not limited to: preparation of collection containers and associated record keeping.
- Inventory and stock safety supplies.
- Assist with clerical tasks associated with intern program.
- Assist with animal medical records, including data entry and filing.
- Assist with pest control program.
- Follow all safety procedures that pertain to the duties performed and support all aspects of the Park District’s safety program.
- Under the general supervision of the Curator of Animals.
- Average of 8 hours/week. Starting wage is $8.75 per hour.
DATA SPECIALIST / PEORIA ZOO
POSITION: Part-Time (Average of 28 hours/week)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Zoology or Biology. Although a degree is preferred, experience in a like position with similar duties and responsibilities may be substituted for all or part of the educational requirement.
- Minimum of three years experience working with computers including email management, internet and electronic records/file management.
- Must have strong communication skills.
- Knowledge of basic PC functions including word processing and spreadsheets.
- Ability to work harmoniously with the public and fellow employees in a positive and cooperative manner.
- Coordinate animal record keeping ensuring the accurate permanent record and documentation of animal identification, behavior, diet, necropsy, training information, etc.
- Aide in the arrangement of animal shipments, including the distribution of animal transaction paperwork.
- Conduct periodic data reviews to ensure high standards of animal record keeping.
- Help create, conduct and analyze guest surveys.
- Perform special data projects as assigned by the Collections Curator.
- Provide information regarding animal records both internally and to outside institutions.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Starting salary range is $10.50 – $11.50 per hour.
- Some weekends may be required.
When you complete your application, please mail it or deliver it to:
Human Resources Assistant, Peoria Park District 1125 W. Lake Ave. Peoria, Illinois 61603-2193
Thank you for considering the Peoria Zoo, owned and operated by the Peoria Park District!