Mongoose Lemur - Eulemur mongoz
Tropical dry forest, deciduous forest and secondary forest
Madagascar and Comoros Island (found between Madagascar and Africa)
active both day and night, depending on the season it can be either diurnal or nocturnal.
Soft grey-brown fur with a pale grey muzzle and black nose. Males have pale faces with reddish brown cheeks and may have a bald patch on top of head. Females have dark faces with whitish cheeks.
up to 14” in length, up to 4 lbs. Has a tail that can reach 19 inches.
Live in small groups consisting of an adult pair and up to 3
18-20 years and in captivity up to 26 years
fruits in both wet and dry seasons. In wet season also known to feed on flowers particularly from the Kapok tree.
Sexual maturity attained at 2 ½ to 3 ½ years. Female gestation period of 128 days. Young are born around October to November. The young are weaned at 5 months and usually stay with the parents until fully mature.
Endangered according to the USFWS and listed as vulnerable on the IUCN Red List – due to habitat loss from logging, agriculture and hunting. Considered a pest due to alleged raids on crops. They are in Appendix I of CITES and are part of an AZA Species Survival Plan.
- Current wild population estimated to be between 1,000 to 10,000.
- Mongoose lemurs love nectar – in some areas 80% of their dry season diet is the rich nectar of the Kapok tree, whose flowers open in the evening.
- Have a good sense of smell and use scent marking to signal to other neighboring groups.
- Males use top of head when scent marking – may end up bald as a result.
- They have a series of 6 teeth that stick straight out from their lower jaw. They use this as a comb when grooming each other.
- They are important pollinators, taking pollen from flower to flower as they eat.
AZA cooperatively manages this species as a Species Survival Plan® Program.
- Adult (13 and over)$9.00
- Child (3 - 12)$5.25
- Child (2 and under)Free
- Senior (65+)$8.00
We begin transferring animals to evening (off exhibit) holding at 4:30 each night.
Open Daily 10:00-5:00
Last admission at 4:30